Re: Graphics figures for dvi/ps and html

Subject: Re: Graphics figures for dvi/ps and html
From: "Eve L. Maler" <elm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 10:29:31 -0500
At 03:30 AM 12/29/97 -0500, The DSSSList Digest wrote:
>Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 03:47:36 +0000
>From: "Thomas G. Lockhart" <lockhart@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Graphics figures for dvi/ps and html
>
>I'm trying to produce docs with a few figures, and am not sure how to
>specify the figures. AFAIK, html wants gif, and tex/postscript wants
>eps, but the DocBook <GRAPHIC> entity want me to specify one or the
>other in the FORMAT attribute. What is the preferred method for
>including figures? I'm happy making multiple formats for the figure
>files (assuming it is necessary), but don't know how to specify it. I'm
>using jade/jadetex and Norm Walsh's style sheets...

The Format attribute on Graphic is a NOTATION attribute, which means that
its value (if any) indicates the notation of the element's content.
DocBook's Graphic element is unusual in that it allows content (it isn't
EMPTY).  In fact, Graphic offers three ways to pull in your graphic data:

- As element content (with the notation indicated by the Format attribute)
- By giving a file name in the Fileref attribute (with the notation implied)
- By giving an entity name in the Entityref attribute (with the notation
  indicated by the NDATA parameters on the declaration for the entity)

The only deprecated method is the first one.  It's much better to store the
graphic data in a separate file and pull it in.  In order to pull in the
appropriate-format graphic for the chosen destination, you have to do one
of the following:

- Use marked sections for %html; and %texps; destinations

- Use the Role attribute on your Graphics and double up on instances of
Graphic so that the processing for each destination suppresses the
Role="TEXPS" and Role="HTML" graphics, respectively

- Some other similar shenanigans

I hope this helps!

	Eve
	DocBook co-maintainer