Hyphenation

Subject: Hyphenation
From: Matthias Clasen <clasen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 1998 23:06:46 +0100
I try to understand DSSSL's approach to hyphenation,
but I did not get very far. I found the following characteristics
which are related to hyphenation (are these all?)

paragraph flow object:
	hyphenation-char
	hyphenation-ladder-count
	hyphenation-remain-char-count
	hyphenation-push-char-count
	hyphenation-keep
	hyphenation-exceptions

character flow object:
	hyphenate?
	hyphenation-method
	break-before-priority
	break-after-priority
	drop-after-line-break?
	drop-unless-before-line-break?

While I do understand the purpose of the paragraph characteristics,
I cannot make sense of the rest. Why are hyphenate? and
hyphenation-method characteristics of single characters and not of
words ? How does DSSSL treat a word in which the first character
specifies hyphenation method A while the second specifies B ? And
what if the third character allows hyphenation, but the fourth doesn't ?

Also, I could not find any information in the standard about the
input/output of possible hyphenation methods (the same is true for other
methods like line-composition-method).

My final question on hyphenation: Does DSSSL have a concept of general
discretionaries like TeX to allow for eg the German hyphenation ck->k-k ?

Regards, Matthias

--
Matthias Clasen,
Tel. 0761/203-5606