Formatting with two columns and DocBook stylesheets

Subject: Formatting with two columns and DocBook stylesheets
From: Gerhard Stenzel <stenzel@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Nov 1998 09:23:17 +0000
Hi everyone,
I try to format a DocBook article with two columns by specifying (define
%page-n-columns%  2).
In the RTF output the space between the two columns is a bit too large and in
the PS/PDF output (via tex)
is seems to be zero.
I assume, 'page-column-sep' would be the right thing to set, but I did not find
it in any of the style sheets.
>From the JADE documentation (for RTF):
>page-column-sep
 >    Value is a length, specifying the separation between columns. The initial
value is .5in. It applies to
 >    simple-page-sequence flow objects.
So it seems, that the RTF backend has an initial value of .5 in for
'page-column-sep', whereas the TeX backend
has an initial value of zero.
In a post from Sebastian (June 97) I found that the TeX appearantly supports
'page-column-sep'. So I added
 (declare-characteristic page-column-sep
 "UNREGISTERED::James Clark//Characteristic::page-column-sep" 4pt)
to my docbook.dsl. Nothing changed.. neither RTF nor PDF

In addition pdftex complains about something(, but this could be related to my
MikTex installation):
! Undefined control sequence.
\SpS ...umns >1 \columnsep \PageColumnSep
                                          \begin {multicols}{\PageNCo...
l.33 {0}}
! Missing number, treated as zero.
<to be read again>
                   \def
l.33 {0}}

! Illegal unit of measure (pt inserted).
<to be read again>
                   \def
l.33 {0}}

Any suggestions anyone?