Re: A Difficult Problem - The Solution

Subject: Re: A Difficult Problem - The Solution
From: Tony Graham <tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 1998 11:40:26 -0500 (EST)
At 10 Nov 1998 13:58 -0500, Chuck Darney wrote:
 > Brief Restatement of the Problem:
 > Using the files below, I needed to use the same text block (referenced
 > as a file entity) multiple times in an instance.  Each time the text
 > block was used, a different value for the embedded text entity changes.
 >
 > Standard Jade processing doesn't handle such processing.

Neither SGML nor XML support redefinition of entities mid-DTD, so it's
not surprising that a tool for processing SGML and XML doesn't support
it.  Actually, the fact that the first definition of an entity is the
one that takes effect is a feature that many DTDs use, especially when
it comes to supporting customising of the DTD -- customisations
typically involve making your own definition of a parameter entity
that will be read before the definition of the parameter entity in the
body of the DTD.

 > <!DOCTYPE CGIDELIV SYSTEM 'c:\engine\CGIDELIV.DTD' [
 > <!ENTITY NSDCL015.001 SYSTEM 'h:\$sgmltxt\md_tl\NSDCL\NSDCL015.001'>
 > <!ENTITY CLASS_ID '1'>
 > <!ENTITY CLASS_ID '2'>
 > <!ENTITY CLASS_ID '3'>
 > <!ENTITY CLASS_ID '6'>
 > ]>
 > <cgideliv Type = Policy>
 > &NSDCL015.001;
 > &NSDCL015.001;
 > &NSDCL015.001;
 > &NSDCL015.001;
 > </cgideliv>

Regards,

Tony Graham
Tony Graham                            mailto:tgraham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
17 West Jefferson Street                    Direct Phone: 301/315-9632