Re: converting multiple files with Jade...

Subject: Re: converting multiple files with Jade...
From: Toby Speight <Toby.Speight@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 08 Dec 1998 13:48:02 +0000
Linda> Linda van den Brink <URL:mailto:lvdbrink@xxxxxxx>

0> In article
0> <D3FB42C30BC6D011AB3B00805F191C1D0270E3DD@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
0> Linda wrote:

Linda> I'm wondering if it's possible to do some sort of batch
Linda> conversion of multiple files with Jade.  ...  there is as
Linda> yet no functionality to process multiple files, ...

Linda> Even if Jade itself has no functionality for multiple file
Linda> processing, there are ways to do it I assume.  Could anyone
Linda> tell me from experience what's the best way to go about it? I
Linda> have a large collection - thousands of files in hundreds of
Linda> directories - of help files in well-formed XML and a dsssl
Linda> specification to convert them to HTML.

Of course there's a way to do it.  Several, in fact.

My usual technique is to use "make" to automate processing of only the
files that need it.  This works very well on several Unix platforms
and on NT (though the Makefile needs a big conditional section to
reflect the different environment of NT).

I only have a dozen or so source files (and the stylesheets are
modularised into 8 files), but I see no problem scaling this to
your requirements (caveat: I've used make in such contexts when
programming, but not with text processing).

.xml.rtf:
	$(JADE) -t rtf -o $@ -d '$(STYLESHEET)' $<