Re: two languages in one document

Subject: Re: two languages in one document
From: Norman Walsh <ndw@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 06:50:16 -0500
/ Michael Sobolev <mss@xxxxxxxxxxx> was heard to say:
| I have a document (in DocBook!), which I want to have in two
| languages (English and Russian).  Is it possible to create the
| only file that would have the both variants? (here goes "no",
| I believe) Where could I look for the information on tools
| that help with the situation like this?

Are you interested in using the dual-language version as an aid
in translation, or just to hold both versions?

You can easily mix the two versions, at the element level:

<para lang="ru">This would be in Russian, if I knew any.</para>
<para lang="usen">This is in English.</para>

If you only want one of them to appear in the output, that would
require a little (er, maybe a lot) of customization.

                                        Cheers,
                                          norm
--
Norman Walsh <ndw@xxxxxxxxxx>      | The clearest way into the Universe