Re: "use"'ing style specs

Subject: Re: "use"'ing style specs
From: "G. Ken Holman" <gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 09:26:44 -0500
At 99/02/03 18:09 +0900, Frank A. Christoph wrote:
>Precisely, what are the semantics of the "use" attribute of a
style-specification element type in the DSSSL architecture supposed to be?
I can't find any mention of it in the standard (in section 7.1). Is it
described elsewhere?

I learned everything I needed to know about "use:" in section 12.4.6
because this section details the prioritized algorithm by which a
characteristic for a flow object is chosen from many possible sources,
including one source being a "use:" style specification.

I've often just used "use:" as a short cut expression of a handful of
characteristics as an assist to maintainability ... but it can be used as a
"default" set of characteristics, partially locally overridden in a make
expression.

I hope this helps.

--
G. Ken Holman         mailto:gkholman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx