Re: XML Processing instruction proposal

Subject: Re: XML Processing instruction proposal
From: Peter Nilsson <pnidv96@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 15:54:05 +0100 (CET)
On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, Didier PH Martin wrote:

> Here is my proposal submitted to you for discussion. this is concerning XML
> rendered with DSSSL style sheets and it is expressed as a set of rules.

[...]
> b) The browser make this implicit assumption:
> 	- if not media property is mentioned it is by default the screen and the
> native rendering formatting objects are HTML+CSS based.
> Example: <?xml-stylesheet href="MyScript.dsl" type="text/dsssl"?>
> 	- If media="screen, html" then the browser is using the SGML transformation
> part of the DSSSL engine and display the resultant SGML markups. This is
> corresponding to the Jade's flag "-t sgml".
> Example:<?xml-stylesheet href="MyScript.dsl" text="text/dsssl"
> media="screen,html"?>

I think the default medium should be "screen" and then the DSSL Online
flow objects (scroll, link etc.) should be assumed. The SGML
transformation you are referring to is non-standard Jade extensions
(indeed they are useful) and using them by default is therefore not a good
idea.

> - if media="screen, rtf" then the browser display the result with a RTF
> player associated to the rtf extension. For example, this could be word or
> word viewer.
> Example:<?xml-stylesheet href="MyScript.dsl" text="text/dsssl"
> media="screen,rtf"?>

I don't see why one should specify that RTF should be used for formatting
the document. In my opinion, the process of formatting is implementation
dependent and will vary between different browsers. What I am trying to
say is that if one has a native DSSSL browser, it would be very
inefficient to do the formatting via RTF.

> The xml declaration is not mandatory (i.e. the <?xml version="1.0"?> )

Is this different from the XML standard?

Regards,
/Peter

--