DSSSL future

Subject: DSSSL future
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Feb 1999 12:14:16 -0500
Hi,

What is your opinion on the following topics:

a) Do you think that dsssl could be a good language for SGML/XML server side
transform? I'll explain. Imagine that when a browser call for a SGML/XML
document, a component, in the HTTP server, would process the SGML/XML
document with a dsssl script and return a HTML document to the browser. So,
if the browser ask for the following URL: http://mydomain.org/document.sgml
or http://mydomain.org/document.xml, if that document has a style sheet
associated to it, the document is transformed from SGML or XML into HTML and
sent back to the browser for rendition. So, like you have today with ASP
pages, that are transformed into HTML document or Server side includes that
in the same way do the same job, each SGML or XML MIME type would call this
component (or a server could be modified or created to support such
capability) so that the document would be transformed server side for
browser rendition. Because, DSSSL allows the output to be not restricted to
HTML, the resultant document sent to the browser could also be in rtf, pdf,
tex formats that have plug-in viewers already available. But I guess that
the main output would be HTML. I am wrong to make that deduction. Are other
output formats be useful in some situations?

b) Do you think that the previous mechanism should include also the capacity
to select a style sheet based on who connect (i.e. the person, the browser,
the calling location)?

c) Do you think that a server transformation solution is better than a
client based solution (like you would find in the SGML/XML kit or Hybrick)?

d) do you think that SGML documents transformed on the server would be
better for the intranet than for the internet? XML being the format for the
Internet?

e) To do a server side transform is a total waste of time?

What is your opinion on these topics.

Regards
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx