RE: DSSSL future

Subject: RE: DSSSL future
From: Peter Nilsson <pnidv96@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 11:12:08 +0100 (CET)
On Mon, 22 Feb 1999, Didier PH Martin wrote:

> <YourComment>
> In HTML 4.0 (section 14.3), it says that browsers should allow the user to
> select the style sheet. The W3C specificaton of how to associate style
> sheets to XML refers to HTML 4.0, but I don't remember if there is a way
> to specify alternative style sheets with the PI.
> </YourComment>
>
> <Reply>
> There is a document published by W3C for the linkage between XML documents
> and their style sheets.
> <link>: http://www.w3.org/TR/PR-xml-stylesheet  </link>

Yes. This was the document I referred to above as "the W3C specification
of how to associate style sheets to XML". In the following i call this
document [xml-style].

> A processing instruction is used to link a XML document to its associated
> style sheet. I proposed to this list and to the xsl list the usage of the
> media property to select the output type. The media property is not defined
[...]

But now I was talking about alternate style sheets. My intention was to
clarify that the specifications say that the browser should make it
possible for the user to select style sheet (for example through a menu).

In [xml-style], a number of pseudo-attributes for the PI are defined. The
semantics of these pseudo-attributes are specified to be exactly the same
as defined for <link rel="stylesheet"> in HTML 4.0 if the alternate
pseudo-attribute is "no" and <link rel="alternate stylesheet"> if
alternate is "yes". Therefore, alternate=no means a preferred style sheet
(as specified in HTML 4.0 section 14.3.2) and if alternate=yes, the style
sheet is an alternative to the preferred one. The user agent should then
use the author's preferred style sheet by default and allow selection
between alternate style sheets.

Example:
<?xml-style href="mystyle.dsl" type="text/dsssl" title="Default">
<?xml-style href="bigprint.dsl" type="text/dsssl" alternate="yes"
title="Big Print">
<xml-style href="compact.dsl" type="text/dsssl" alternate="yes"
title="Compact">

With the above specification in a prolog of an XML document, the browser
should use "Default" by default, and let the user choose between "Default"
and the alternatives "Big Print" and "Compact". This behaviour is
specified and recommended in the documents referred above.

Regards,
/Peter Nilsson

--