RE: DSSSL future

Subject: RE: DSSSL future
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 10:59:34 -0500
HI Peter

<YourComment>
In HTML 4.0 (section 14.3), it says that browsers should allow the user to
select the style sheet. The W3C specificaton of how to associate style
sheets to XML refers to HTML 4.0, but I don't remember if there is a way
to specify alternative style sheets with the PI.
</YourComment>

<Reply>
There is a document published by W3C for the linkage between XML documents
and their style sheets.
<link>: http://www.w3.org/TR/PR-xml-stylesheet  </link>
A processing instruction is used to link a XML document to its associated
style sheet. I proposed to this list and to the xsl list the usage of the
media property to select the output type. The media property is not defined
explicitly in the above referred document but in the CSS style sheet
document. The above document just mention that the media proerty can be used
in a style sheet processing instruction.

The media property can be expanded to include new sub properties as long as
these properties are separated with a ",". For example we can use the media
property to set an output type to PDF.
<example> <?xml-stylesheet href="myscript.dsl" type="text/dsssl"
media="screen"?> </example> or
<example> <?xml-stylesheet href="myscript.dsl" type="text/dsssl"
media="print,pdf"?></example>

</Reply>

Regards
Didier PH Martin