Re: jade/tex experience

Subject: Re: jade/tex experience
From: Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 10:17:33 +0000 (GMT)
Joerg Wittenberger writes:
 > today I reached the limits of jade+jadetex.  Surprisingly the "normal"
 > installations broke down with "tex capacity exceeded, sorry [hash
 > size=10000]."
 >
 > Sure it must be possible to fix that by recompiling tex.
You don't need to recompile TeX. you reset the limits in texmf.cnf, and
remake the formats. there *are* limits in the TeX sources, but i'd be
surprised if you met them

 > Did anybody prepare documents with 400+ pages using
 > jade+{jadetex|pdfjadetex}?
yes, indeed. In general, TeX processes page by page, so length isnt an
issue. its almost certainly symbolic names for elements which are
causing you grief

 > I wonder who else experienced that limit before and what limits are
 > reasonable (I don't want to run tex from within a perl script and
 > recompile tex in case of that msg ;=)
several people have met limits which even a much-enlarged TeX binary
failed on (hello Nik C), but they turned out to be victims of a
nesting in Norm's Docbook DSSSL scripts which he later fixed. I think :-}

 > Anyone with an idea, whether this could be influenced from the style
 > sheet (use of FO's, "make sequence" vs. sosofo-append etc.)?
yes. "make sequence" (from memory) makes a new named object, whose
name and page number TeX keeps in memory in case you link to it.

 > BTW: very interesting effect I'd like to understand: The I get the
 > *very* same message on two machines; but at my PII 64M laptop it
 > manages to produce 42 pages, on a powerpc AIX (no mem number at the
 > moment) it produces 62 pages.  In contrast the pdfjadetex on AIX did
 > break with a pool size limit - but that's probably due to different
 > comp time opts.
the same TeX source setup?

so far as I know, only two (commercial) TeXs (Y&Y and Textures) have
dynamic memory, so your physical memory is seldom an issue. TeX has
fixed size chunks of  memory available which it plays around with
internally. so if TeX starts at all, it grabs all the memory it wants
at startup and thats it.

sebastian