RE: About the source library

Subject: RE: About the source library
From: Peter Nilsson <pnidv96@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 May 1999 21:51:18 +0200 (CEST)
On Mon, 3 May 1999, Didier PH Martin wrote:

> <Comment>
> I'm working on a braille formatter which will have use for parts of it, so
> the page-sequence etc. will have to be done ... someday. (May take some
> year or two before I need it.)
> </Comment>
>
> <reply>
> Wow this is great!
> </reply>

I thought braille should be first in providing a native formatter (see
below)...

> <reply>
> I do not know what you mean by a native formatter but I am actually working
> on a DOM backend so that instead of having the cycle:
> XML/SGML ->HTML->rendition we'll have instead XML/SGML->rendition. So there
> will be less steps because there won't be any need to interpret the HTML.
> This should improve the overall speed of the processor for on-line
> rendition.
> </reply>

By "native formatter" I mean a program that directly formats the flow
object tree for print or rendition online without going through some other
formatter such as TeX or Word for example. The input is the FOT and the
output is PDF or something that a printing/display device wants. A native
formatter will make it possible to support the whole formatting language
(including general indirect sosofos and complex pages).

One or two months ago, there was a discussion about a "PDF backend" or
something. I thought this would be a native formatter. Someone said that
he was considering writing such a thing.

Hope this clarifies what I tried to say:-)

Regards,
/Peter

--