RTF to PDF (was Re: jade/jadetex with tables (was: & 2 questions))

Subject: RTF to PDF (was Re: jade/jadetex with tables (was: & 2 questions))
From: Ron Ross <ronross@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 May 1999 01:58:09 -0400 (EDT)
On Fri, 21 May 1999, jfitzpatrick@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> From: Joerg Wittenberger <Joerg.Wittenberger@xxxxxxxxx>

>> * Anyway using the rtf backend would be an option as well.  Is there *
>> * any command line converter from rtf to postscript or pdf?          *
[...]
> But I could find nothing that faithfully converted RTF to page
> description language except for MS Word on Windows. I ended up building
> a little Windows server in Perl which runs Jade and processes the RTF
> through Word using OLE, and returns Postscript back to Unix (it will
> also return RTF with the images embedded :) . The addition of Adobe
> Acrobat (not the free version unfortunately) now provides a PDF option
> on my server. Acrobat actually gives you two PDF options: 1) a printer
> driver that will produce PDF directly from any Windows app (PDFWriter);
> and 2) conversion of Postscript (Distiller) to PDF.

You might also want to check out Corel Office 2000 (aka WordPerfect 9). It
can write PDF files directly. I haven't tried it yet, and I hear that the
PDF filter is a little buggy; but this could change very soon, with the
next service patch, as the PDF filter in Corel Draw 9, also just out and
which I do have, is phenomenal. And WP can of course read RTF files, so
the process could be automated. I don't know about WP either reading or
writing straight PostScript, though.

Ron