Re: Jade/DSSSL future

Subject: Re: Jade/DSSSL future
From: Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 May 1999 10:24:34 +0000 (GMT)
James Clark writes:

 > There's not much point in implementing full page-sequence flow object in
 > the front-end unless it can be supported in the back-ends.  None of the
 > existing backends could support the complex-page-sequence.  What's
I would agree, but there is an intermediate gray area. TeX, for
instance, can clearly do far more than the DSSSSL subset in Jade
allows for, but cannot do the theoretical full page sequence
stuff. how do we realistically harness the  rich intermediate level?
so far, we do it with DSSSL extensions, which is messy

 > the real DSSSL parsing start.  A version of Jade that used an XML parser
 > rather than SP and in which DSSSL files didn't have an SGML
 > architectural wrapper would be a lot faster.
now you're talking... but presumably one of the main groups of people
who want Jade/DSSSL is the subset of current SGML users who really
want to stay with full SGML? so one would not want to actually kill
off their route

Sebastian