jade/jadetex with tables (was: Re: jade/jadetex & 2 questions)

Subject: jade/jadetex with tables (was: Re: jade/jadetex & 2 questions)
From: Joerg Wittenberger <Joerg.Wittenberger@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 21 May 1999 12:55:13 +0200

SR> Joerg Wittenberger writes:
>> jade:I: maximum number of errors (200) reached; change with -E
>> option TeXFOTBuilder.cxx:761: failed assertion `CurCell != NULL'
>> IOT/Abort trap (core dumped)
>>
>> unfortunatly I forget to keep the posting.
SR> I am afraid my reply was along the lines of "oh dear" :-}

Yes, there was such a note, and some email of whom coded the table stuff.

ADC> Wow... never run into that.  Have you notified James Clark
ADC> <jjc@xxxxxxxxxx>?

No I did not directly - I was under the impression that he was
following the DSSSL list.

>> 3) You wrote that jadetexs table stuff needs some work anyway.  How
>> much work (lines of code / man days) do you expect?  Which skills
>> would be required?
SR> heavy TeX programming experience, i am afraid. or else substantial
SR> C++ to rewrite Jade's TeX backend from scratch

That reminds me to the "About the source library" thread.  From my
recent experience I'd conclude that jade/jadetex is great in principle
but for actual use it needs some work.  Who dares to estimate man
days?  I mean it should take maybe $20000 to convince somebody to
spent half a year at it and I would actually pay a share of that as I
would contribute my time.  Who else?

ADC> I wouldn't mind seeing the SGML file which causes this problem,
ADC> if it's not under a non-disclosure or something....

I'm not supposed to send out the original.  I tired 1h now to provide
a screwed text which should reproduce the bug (which appears after
aprox 20 pages).  But things are getting worse.  It seems to be
impossible to reproduce the bug in a self contained document.  In our
environment the DTD driver is in one place modifying slightly the
docbook dtd.  The doc instance files are spread over a couple of
directories.  When I put everything together into one or a few files
magic happens and the assertion is met.

SR> if it works in RTF but not TeX, its a jadetex problem. does it
SR> work in RTF?

Uh, that's a pity.  Or crazy?  I never tried the rtf backend.  Now I
did and the table in question comes out right.

How did Norm manage to get tables at all?

Unfortunatly the formating creates a nested table later - and the rtf
backend complains about that.

* Anyway using the rtf backend would be an option as well.  Is there *
* any command line converter from rtf to postscript or pdf?          *

ADC> Can you make it easy on us and actually supply the DSSSL and the
ADC> SGML you are using?
Sure, it's a slight extension to docbook:
----- %< -------------- %< -------------------------------------------------
<Mesg Severity="W">
<MesgNo>PFO101W</MesgNo>
<MesgText>
<para>
invalid server port range specified
(<Replaceable>range</Replaceable>). use only one port.
</para>
</MesgText>
<MesgExplan>
<para>
In der Konfigurationsdatei des Proxy ist unter server_port_range die
Anzahl der zu verwendenden Ports für die Kommunikation mit den Radius
Servern anzugeben.
</para>
  <VariableList>
    <VarListEntry>
    <Term>range</Term>
    <ListItem>
     <para>
 ist der aus der Konfiguration gelesene fehlerhafte Wert.

     </para>
    </ListItem>
 </VarListEntry>
</VariableList>
</MesgExplan>
<SysAct>
<para>
Der Radius Proxy benutzt nur einen Port.
</para>
</SysAct>
<OResp>
<para>
Konfiguration überprüfen.
</para>
</OResp>
</Mesg>

(define (tip-mesg-entry heading)
  (make paragraph
    space-before: %para-sep%
    quadding: %default-quadding%
    (make sequence
      font-weight: 'bold
      (literal heading " "))
    (process-children-trim)))

(element (mesg mesgtext) (process-children))
(element (mesg mesgexplan) (tip-mesg-entry "Erläuterung:"))
(element (mesg sysact) (tip-mesg-entry "Systemaktion:"))
(element (mesg oresp) (tip-mesg-entry "Bedienkraft-Aktion:"))
(element (mesg uresp) (tip-mesg-entry "Nutzer-Aktrion:"))

(element mesg
 (make table
   before-row-border: #f
   after-row-border: #f
   before-column-border: #f
   after-column-border: #f
   (make table-row
    (make table-cell
     width: 2.5cm
          (literal (data (select-elements (children (current-node))
					  (normalize "MesgNo")))))
    (make table-cell
      width: (table-width 1)
	  (process-children)))))