Re: Scheme Programming Reference

Subject: Re: Scheme Programming Reference
From: Russell Senior <seniorr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 24 Jun 1999 16:38:14 -0700
>>>>> "Sebastian" == Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

Adam> This is incorrect.  Since government funding was used in the
Adam> production of the DSSSL spec, it is therefore under public
Adam> domain.

Adam> AFAIK, distribution of the DSSSL spec is perfectly legal.  Even

Sebastian> James Mason slapped me down something proper when I put up
Sebastian> a formatted PDF version of the DSSSL spec on the Web 2 or 3
Sebastian> years ago. I assume he knew whereof he spoke.

This is what it says at: <http://www.ornl.gov/sgml/wg8/wg8home.htm>
under the DSSSL heading:

   This is the final text of DSSSL. It is being made available with
   the understanding that it does not replace the printed document,
   which is available from ISO and the JTC1 National Bodies. The
   U.S. Department of Energy, having paid part of the expenses for the
   development of this standard, reserves a nonexclusive, royalty-free
   license to make these materials available for its purposes,
   including the promotion of the standard. (See the copyright
   statement, above.)

So I guess you are dependent on the U.S. Department of Energy's
judgement as to whether you are serving its purposes, such as in
promoting the standard.  Probably a good idea to ask them for their
opinion, to be on firm ground.

--
Russell Senior         ``The two chiefs turned to each other.
seniorr@xxxxxxxxxxxx     Bellison uncorked a flood of horrible