RE: html to dsssl ?

Subject: RE: html to dsssl ?
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 12:02:08 -0400
Hi David,

No its not hard to implement. But it is slow:
a) transformation from SGML/XML into Tex (with OpenJade)
b) transformation from Tex to PDF ( with pdftex)
c) finally Display the document with Acrobat.

The best solution and the fastest also is:
scenario 1:
a) transformation from SGML/XML into Tex
b) rendition in techexplorer

scenario 2:
a) transformation from SGML/XML into PDF
b) rendition in Acrobat

Scenario 1 and 2 are a lot faster. Also, the best scenario for me is to fix
only DSSSL bugs and not having to fix other bugs in other languages, this is
too much. Also, if I would have scenario 1 or 2 I can download a SGML/XML
document form my intranet and get it rendered in either techexplorer or
Acrobat PDF viewer. The transformation done a) on the client side or b) on
the server as fast as possible.

In the case where I have client side transformation, we have a lighter
charge on the server. Otherwise, if we can get a fast transformation into
different formats (and the clients having different document viewers or
plug-ins)we then have the concept of a XML or SGML server on top of the
actual HTML server.

regards
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx