RE: html to dsssl ?

Subject: RE: html to dsssl ?
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 15:37:29 -0400
Hi David,

Didier said:
> The best solution and the fastest also is:
> scenario 1:
> a) transformation from SGML/XML into Tex
> b) rendition in techexplorer
>
> scenario 2:
> a) transformation from SGML/XML into PDF
> b) rendition in Acrobat

> Scenario 1 and 2 are a lot faster.
David said:
It depends what you mean by faster:-)

if you mean taking the current back end output into techexplorer
it doesn't do anything at all, so how fast it does it is not really an
issue. (otherwise, I'm not sure what you do mean).

For scenario 2, I am not sure what is your back end that goes straight to
pdf, if you mean one that does not yet exist, I am not sure why it has
to be faster.

Didier says:
Hummmm, from your answer, David, you're having a bad tuesday :-))
Off course I know that you cannot render JadeTex output in TechExplorer
:-)))) No the point is: It _would_ be better if this where the case. We
_would_ have less steps and a faster translation/rendition time.

For scenario two. Again David, bad tuesday :-)))) who said that OpenJade is
static and that no development is happening?? who said that? So, scenario 2
is my own pet project: a PDF backend. Very crude actually because the next
release of OpenJade is taking me time but as soon as the new code is out,
I'll get back to it. But I can assure you that its incredibly faster than
the previous chain of actions to translate SGML or XML into PDF.

David said:
TeX is not particularly slow, something going to pdf may take as long as
pdftex, or may just not spend as long making decisions and so make
poorer output. Of course it may be faster and better, but unless it
actually is working for us to try it out, I don't see why _in principle_
building a pdf back end into jade is faster than running pdftex over the
tex output.

Didier says:
Well, when the backend will be finished, we'll do some benchmarks and we'll
see what is fastest way :-))))

regards
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx