Re: One file into many

Subject: Re: One file into many
From: Brandon Ibach <bibach@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 1999 20:43:43 -0500
Quoting Darrell W. Royter <droyter@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I have been trying to find a way to generate mulitple files in rtf format
> from one sgml document. I had the impression that this is possible. I have
> seen examples of people switching doctype declarations in the middle of
> their DSSSL, so why can't I simply open another file for output at a given
> element?
>
> I was told that a scroll FO would work, but that didn't do the trick, and
> from what I have seen, scroll is used for HTML output, not rtf.
>
> I could be wrong about all this, but then again, there's not much
> documentation I can find to help. I have to do a lot of guess work to make
> anything happen and I typically don't get the results I want.
>
> Has anyone tried to take one file and use Jade to process multiple files?
> Maybe I'm missing some essential inforamtion about groves, trees, or nodes.
> I just don't get it.
>
> I'm sorry, I don't mean to gripe, but I'm terribly frustrated over the whole
> issue.

   For the moment, until OpenJade might pick up some features to deal
with this, here is a (somewhat kludgy) workaround.
   Create a shell script (I'm assuming you're on Unix here... adapt as
needed if not) which runs Jade on your document using a style sheet
that uses the SGML Transformation backend to produce multiple SGML
files from your one input file, using (make entity ...).
   Then, have the script run Jade once on each of these files with a
style sheet that will produce the desired output.
   Ideally, OpenJade would be able to do this by including an
implementation of the transformation language, which could produce
separate groves for each target output file, then process each of
these into its own file.
   Uh, yeah!  One of these days I'll get back to that project (and
maybe get so far as to actually get Henry's DSC 2.0 stuff working,
having had a little trouble with Gambit).

-Brandon :)