RE: About XML to multiple language/multiple outputs

Subject: RE: About XML to multiple language/multiple outputs
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 10:16:11 -0400
Hi Matthias,

Didier said:
> The transformation part of the DSSSL-1 specifications was never
implemented.

Matthias said:
This is no longer true, due to the release of DSC-2.0.

Didier says:
Yes we can say that a validating DSSSL parser implements the transformation
part of DSSSL but do not actually manipulate real groves. So, we cannot test
with dsc-2.0 any real transformation, only syntax checking. Thus, using
DSC-2.0 we may know if our DSSSL script is well written but cannot transform
a document form a particular structure to a new one. This is this last
feature and real application usages which would lead to good feedback. We
would know, from real applications, the good things, the limits, what
required to be improved. Actually any comments on the DSSSL transformation
part cannot be grounded on any concrete experience but only with common
sense and deductive reasoning. This is what I meant by saying that the
DSSSL-1 transformation specification was never implemented. I should have
been more precise and say: "even if a syntax checking application like
DSC-2.0 could be used to test DSSSL scripts syntax, no real transformation
on real documents using the DSSSL-1 transformation specification has been
done to provide feedback from real field applications. If this would have
been the case, This would have provided us feedback on usage, limitations
and needs unfulfiled by the transformation part and therefore leads to
improvements.". I hope this is clearer now.

Didier said:
> Could make me regret having chosen an open dialog with the DSSSL
community.
> I could have chosen to prepare the draft behind closed doors without any
> previous consultation from the user community. However, what is reassuring

Matthias said:
Please do not overreact. IMO, Frank has asked a very reasonable question.

Didier says:
Thank you Matthias to remind me to be patient and cold blooded. Frank, I
apologize, and will simply change in my mind your sentence from: "That is
all well and good, but it seems like you are flying into this
without any sense of purpose besides making something "new."
into:
"Your messages only show partial pieces of information that are hard to
follow and do not provide a clear picture of your intentions. Please, could
you be more explicit and state in a message the important items, the process
and the agenda"

And me to respond: "Yes Frank with pleasure, and thanks for asking me to be
clearer".

After all. I am human too :-)

And thanks Matthias to give me the opportunity to clarify things. Now let's
continue the process of collecting needs based on OPenJade in particular and
on DSSSL in general:
- unfulfilled
- fulfilled with high costs (too long to do, too many steps, too
complicated, etc...)

regards
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx