About usability

Subject: About usability
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 1999 16:39:48 -0400
Hi,

Recently I got a good talk with a friend who is not a programmer. He's
drawing and is using AutoCAD for his work. To make his life easier he
creates small AutoCAD scripts. He pointed me to several links where we can
find AutoCAD script language. When I asked him how difficult he found the
AutoCAD script he said that at first yes as with everything new and with
magazine, examples and work he was able to learn this new skill.

For those who don't know, autodesk scrip language is named AutoLisp and is
LISP based.

Today, ZD net published for the Cad mainstream public an interesting
article:

Looking at Recursion in Visual LISP
To learn about using multi-level programming that helps make LISP
programming more efficient, read this article from Inside AutoCAD.
http://www.zdj.com/iac/9908/iac9981.htm

Maybe Lisp is not so bad after all :-) The next time people talk about DSSSL
and usability just point them to AutoLisp and ask them "why is this
community is using a lisp based language?", if it is so hard to learn. And
why non programmers are able to create autolisp scripts ;-)

regards
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.netfolder.com