RE: About XML to multiple language/multiple outputs

Subject: RE: About XML to multiple language/multiple outputs
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 1999 21:08:36 -0400
Hi Matthias,

> Didier said:
> These are quite accurate observations. Add to this, that some part of the
> specs are also badly used because the model is either:
> a) not so clear
> b) hard to express with the current language constructs
>
> Like I said, we have to leave the existing features there for backward
> compatibility but some part of the spec can be improved. The underlying
> model can be improved too (especially the visual objects model). Grove
> access can be simplified too. Have you take a look at XPath? they did a
good
> job to simplify any grove element access by a simple path so, they are
using
> a "string" to tell the system to reach a certain node by providing an
> address instead of telling the system how to reach the system. It is like
> giving your address to get to your place is a lot more economical than
> giving all the instructions to get to your place. So, access to grove's
node
> can be greatly simplified too by an addressing mechanism.

Matthias said:
Isn't this also what the hytime grovepos archform is doing ? (but I couldn't
find it in the 2. edition anymore, so can't say for sure)

Didier says:
Yes but not in a standard way. We need a standard way to do it. grovepos
could be expressed in any kind of conventions. XPath was a lot inspired by
grovepos.

regards
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx