RE: How looks a rule?

Subject: RE: How looks a rule?
From: Peter Nilsson <pnidv96@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 13:50:34 +0200 (CEST)
On Fri, 24 Sep 1999, Frank A. Christoph wrote:

> > Even more, what is the "context" for the length: - characteristic
> > for these
> > cases?
>
> I assume you mean to ask what does the standard mean by "context" in the
> paragraph describing the length: characteristic. I don't know either; like
> the intended effect of language: and country:, this is one of the unclear
> parts of the standard.

Yes, it is unclear. I remember weakly reading something in an Erratta
that the semantics should have been the same as for a leader. Then, a
length may only be omitted only if the rule apperas as the last line of a
paragraph and the rule would stretch filling all empty space on the line.
I'm not sure how grounded these intepretations are, since I'm in a hurry
right now. However, they seem reasonable to me.

Regards,
/Peter Nilsson
--