RE: How looks a rule?

Subject: RE: How looks a rule?
From: "Frank A. Christoph" <christo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 15:56:56 +0900
> What is meant by a rule-flow object with
> orientation: 'escapement or
> orientation: 'line-progression?

These are basically, respectively, horizontal and vertical orientations, but
the rule is inlined rather than displayed. That means that it can be used in
the middle of a paragraph like a character without automatically causing a
break.

> Even more, what is the "context" for the length: - characteristic
> for these
> cases?

I assume you mean to ask what does the standard mean by "context" in the
paragraph describing the length: characteristic. I don't know either; like
the intended effect of language: and country:, this is one of the unclear
parts of the standard.

Of course, if the rule is displayed and horizontal, then the obvious
interpretation is that the rule's length should equal the display-size.

> Has anyone an example for this usage? Where does it help? Where is it
> appropriate?

For example, if you want to draw a dash if some particular length, or a
black box (a fat rule) as a mathematical symbol or a list bullet.

--FC