Re: Handling newline

Subject: Re: Handling newline
From: Matthias Clasen <clasen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 15:49:04 +0200
> Is there anything in the standard which says that a newline appearing in the
> text of a paragraph must be rendered as a space or a line break when
> input-whitespace-treatment: is not 'ignore? The reason I ask is that for
> Japanese text it is quite natural to do so. Or is this something that ought
> to be handled somehow from the SGML declaration? (If so, how?)

A `newline' here is probably a character with the `record-end?' property.
If you want it to also be a space, it should probably also have the
`space?' and `inline-space-space' properties.

If this is the case, the result will still depend on the `lines' and
`ignore-record-end?' characteristics on the paragraph FO.

--
Matthias Clasen,
Tel. 0761/203-5606