RE: XSL equivalent sought.

Subject: RE: XSL equivalent sought.
From: Peter Nilsson <pnidv96@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 22:57:58 +0200 (CEST)
On Fri, 1 Oct 1999, Didier PH Martin wrote:

> However, I followed with interest this thread and looked at it from an Occam
> point of view and considered the economy of the XPath expression compared to
> the actual dsssl expression. XPath is a string based language used to access
> DOM or, in the DSSSL context, GROVEs.
>
> XPath expression:
> select="/frontmatter/date"/>
>
> DSSSL1 expression: (example 1)
> 	(process-node-list (select-elements
>                              (descendants (current-root))
>                              '(FRONTMATTER DATE)))
> DSSSL1 expression: (example 2)
> (sgml-root-element) or something similar, defined as:
>
> (define (sgml-root-element #!optional (grove-node (current-node)))
>   (node-property 'document-element (node-property 'grove-root grove-node)))
> In this case the equivalent of an absolute positioning to the root expressed
> by XPath by "/".

Hi, Dieder,

I find this idea somewhat interresting, since the syntax would be compact
and (to som people:-) more readable.

But wouldn't it be possible to implement this as a function in terms of
the exsisting SDQL? I don't know XPath very well, but to me it seems
possible, since we can parse strings using the EL and SDQL gives us the
whole grove. IMO this should be tried before the real work on DSSSL-2
starts.

Comments?

Regards,
/Peter Nilsson