RE: XSL equivalent sought.

Subject: RE: XSL equivalent sought.
From: "Didier PH Martin" <martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 09:55:31 -0400
Hi Matthias,

Matthias said:
Didier, I think you misunderstood Peter. He proposes to write a little
parser in DSSSL which would allow you to write something like

(xpath-location "/frontmatter/date")

and have it use the necessary SDQL functions internally to return
the right node.

Didier says:
So, it is about the same thing I suggested (see below)
(query (path: "http://www.iso.org/frontmatter/date";)
	(put action here)
)

or

(query (path:
"ldap://ldap.itd.umich.edu/doc=testdoc/o=iso/c=us/frontmatter/date";)
	(put action here)
)

Now from an implementation point of view, I agree that some SDQL functions
may be used, but also, it may be more efficient that the function directly
uses the GROVE interface to resolve the path and obtain the desired object.
Alway, speaking of implementation and not of specs, the questions would be
then: what is the best way to implement such function (i.e xpath-location or
path)?
a) through a direct interface to the GROVE
b) through the intermediary of SDQL internal functions.

Note: Your point to name the function xpath-location instead of path
indicates that the path is xpath. However, we may have here the opportunity
to include a bigger set like is done in the second type of construct (see
previous ldap path example). XPath is limited to the sgml grove plan (or an
approximation of it). A path construct based on groves (i.e. diversity of
grove plans) and not on a single grove plan has more potential and reflect
more the original intentions of groves. Thus, maybe we could then rename it
"grove-path".

Have a good day, I'll go back to the cavern :-)
Didier PH Martin
mailto:martind@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.netfolder.com