RE: XSL equivalent sought.

Subject: RE: XSL equivalent sought.
From: Peter Nilsson <pnidv96@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 21:38:04 +0200 (CEST)
On Sun, 3 Oct 1999, Didier PH Martin wrote:

> Matthias said:
> Didier, I think you misunderstood Peter. He proposes to write a little
> parser in DSSSL which would allow you to write something like
>
> (xpath-location "/frontmatter/date")
>
> and have it use the necessary SDQL functions internally to return
> the right node.
>
> Didier says:
> So, it is about the same thing I suggested (see below)
> (query (path: "http://www.iso.org/frontmatter/date";)
> 	(put action here)
> )
>
> or
>
> (query (path:
> "ldap://ldap.itd.umich.edu/doc=testdoc/o=iso/c=us/frontmatter/date";)
> 	(put action here)
> )
>
> Now from an implementation point of view, I agree that some SDQL functions
> may be used, but also, it may be more efficient that the function directly
> uses the GROVE interface to resolve the path and obtain the desired object.
> Alway, speaking of implementation and not of specs, the questions would be
> then: what is the best way to implement such function (i.e xpath-location or
> path)?
> a) through a direct interface to the GROVE
> b) through the intermediary of SDQL internal functions.

I get somewhat confused. I thought we were talking about DSSSL-2. then,
IMO, it is more interresting if it *can* be implemented in terms of SDQL
rather than how it actually gets implemented (since the standard shouldn't
force implementation details).

 > Note: Your point to name the function xpath-location instead of
path
> indicates that the path is xpath. However, we may have here the opportunity
> to include a bigger set like is done in the second type of construct (see

I think he just picked a name to illustrate what he meant. Ofcourse, the
name of a construct should reflect what the cosntruct is for.

Ok. Where is this discussion going? Some people want a path language (I
also think it could be useful). I proposed that such a language be
implementable in DSSSL (not that it has to be implemented in DSSSL).
However, I don't find it that important that I would spend muh time on it.
If anyone has some code to show that implements some path language, we
could check it out and experiment with it. Otherwise, it may be that
people don't find it critical to have and we could drop the idea.

Regards,
/Peter Nilsson

--