Hopefully simple -- include a quote?

Subject: Hopefully simple -- include a quote?
From: MARK.WROTH@xxxxxxxxxxx (Wroth, Mark)
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 1999 07:42:20 -0700
This should be simple, but I've been irritatingly unsuccessful so far.

How do I specify a literal quote character?  I want to insert a quote mark
(", character 34) in SGML output under style-specification control.  The
difficulty, of course, stems from the fact that the quote character is
syntactically significant.

I tried (literal '"') and including a defined <!ENTITY quo '"'> (and thus
the (literal "&quo;").  The latter produced the interesting behavior of
including everything up to the next instance of &quo; in the literal.

This should be easy.  The quote character is a standard character (in the
sense of 7.1.4).  What am I missing?