Re: displaying dashes

Subject: Re: displaying dashes
From: David Carlisle <davidc@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1999 09:36:13 GMT
>   This has the TeX backend break up sequences of two or more dashes
> with "{}" between them.  It also adds some code to turn the Unicode
> endash and emdash (hex 2013 and 2014, respectively) characters into
> the TeX sequences of "--{}" and "---{}", respectively.
>    If anyone finds any problems with the way this works, let me know.

The first change is probably OK, as I don't think jadetex ever uses
latex verbatim mode. The second change it relies on the fonts having
ligatures - + - + - to emdash. This is true of the original tex fonts
but wasn't a good idea even then, and isn't true of many other fonts
(even when set up for tex).

Jadetex already has

\DefineCharacter{8212}{\textemdash} %mdash

so the unicode slot should get typeset via the latex emdash command
without relying on the font ligatures.

David