RE: line-field usage

Subject: RE: line-field usage
From: MARK.WROTH@xxxxxxxxxxx (Wroth, Mark)
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 07:31:56 -0800
David Pawson <DPawson@xxxxxxxxxxx> asked
------------------------------
I have a wrapper <progress> which contains para elements.

I'm  being asked for an appearance of:

Progress     para begins here, not on line below
	      and wraps to 1.5 inches.
	      Other paras need to follow here

[...]

-------------------------------

As Peter Nilsson <pnidv96@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> commented, there are a number of
possible approaches to this.

	You have the germ of one in  your question "Recognise the 'first
para child' of  element progress"; there is a "first-sibling?" test defined
in 10.2.4.4 of the DSSSL standard which could be used for that purpose, I
think.

	My approach would have been to modify your code as follows:

(element (progress para)
 (process-children)) ;; since this is probably the default
                     ;; it probably doesn't need to be stated

(element progress
 (make paragraph
   start-indent: 1.5in
   first-line-start-indent: -1.5in
    (make sequence
      (make line-field
        field-width: 1.5in
        (literal "Progress"))
      (process-matching-children "para"))))

Obviously, I think the undesired line/paragraph break is being introduced by
the (progress para) rule.  I have not tested this mod, however.