Right-justified line-field and the Jade RTF backend

Subject: Right-justified line-field and the Jade RTF backend
From: Rainer Dunker <rainer.dunker@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 3 Jan 2000 11:32:39 +0100
Hello together,

playing around with right-justified list item labels, I - an SGML/DSSSL
novice - encountered a peculiar behaviour of Jade (v. 1.2.1, jade.htm
says.). I've tried the following document:

<!doctype doc [
  <!element doc    - - ((para1 | para2)+)>
  <!element para1  - - (#pcdata)>
  <!element para2  - - (#pcdata)>
]>
<doc>
  <para1>
    Here is only one space:
    Here is only one space:
    Here is only one space:
  </para1>
  <para2>
    Here are two spaces:
    Here are two spaces:
    Here are two spaces:
  </para2>
</doc>

... with the following stylesheet:

<!doctype style-sheet PUBLIC "-//James Clark//DTD DSSSL Style Sheet//EN">
(element doc
  (make sequence
	input-whitespace-treatment: 'collapse))
(element para1
  (make paragraph
    (make line-field
	  field-width: 1cm
	  field-align: 'start
       (empty-sosofo))
    (process-children)))
(element para2
  (make paragraph
    (make line-field
	  field-width: 1cm
	  field-align: 'end
       (empty-sosofo))
    (process-children)))

The element rules for para1 and para2 only differ in the field-align value
of the heading line-field. However, the RTF backend issues two spaces after
each "Here are two spaces:" phrase of para2 - one obviously resulting from
the line breaks in the source file, the second one resulting from the source
line indentation.

This is certainly neither what I want nor what I've expected. Can anyone
please explain why it behaves this way - and what I must change to make it
work as desired (i.e., issue only one space)?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Regards,

Rainer Dunker
IXOS-ARCHIVE Support