jade: '"element" is not the name of any flow object class'

Subject: jade: '"element" is not the name of any flow object class'
From: Nik Clayton <nik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2000 01:02:32 +0100
Hi,

I've got an XML file, which I'm trying to convert to HTML.  For various
reasons (not least of which is I know the tools will be available) I'm
doing this using Jade and a DSSSL script.

A sample of the XML is:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<changelog>
  <entry>
    <date>2000-03-27</date>
    <weekday>Monday</weekday>
    <time>13:44</time>
    <author>knu</author>
    <file>
      <name>news/newsflash.sgml</name>
      <revision>1.163</revision>
    </file>
    <msg>Add an entry of my becoming a committer.
    </msg>
  </entry>
</changelog>

As you can see, it's a marked up GNU style ChangeLog.  Ordinarily there'd
be multiple <entry>s.

I started very simply, with this stylesheet (changelog.dsl):

<!DOCTYPE style-sheet PUBLIC "-//James Clark//DTD DSSSL Style Sheet//EN">

(element changelog
  (make element gi: "UL"))

However, if I try processing this with

    jade -c /usr/local/share/sgml/jade/catalog \
         -d changelog.dsl \
         -t sgml \
         /usr/local/share/sgml/docbook/dsssl/modular/dtds/decls/xml.decl \
         changelog.xml > changelog.html

I get

jade:ChangeLog.xml:3:0:E: no document type declaration; will parse without validation
jade:changelog.dsl:8:3:E: "element" is not the name of any flow object class

I expected the first line, but not the second.  This has had me stumped for
the best part of an afternoon.  I'm running FreeBSD 3-stable, Jade 1.2.1,
and the XML declaration is from Norm Walsh's DocBook stylesheets, v1.52.

The SGML_CATALOG_FILES variable is empty.

Web searches for that error message didn't turn up anything enlightening,
although it did point to an HTMLFo library.  If at all possible, I want
to avoid using this, as (1) my needs are relatively simple, and (2) it's
one less thing for the other people that will be using this to have to
install.

Any suggestions gratefully received.