AW: page sizes and crop marks

Subject: AW: page sizes and crop marks
From: "Rainer Kemmler" <rkemmler@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 11:04:34 +0200

> - I'm creating a printed book and I'd like my final page width to be 7"
>   and my final page height to be 9".  I'm in the US, so I'll be printing
>   my output for review and markup on 8 1/2" x 11" paper.  How do I do
>   this?

Have a look at 'print/dbparam.dsl'. In this file there are 2 Variables with
which you may customize the paper size, '%paper-width%' and '%paper-height%.
Just add a line with something like '(("yourpapersize") 7in)' to the
definition of %paper-width% and '(("youpapersize") 9in)' for %paper-height%.
Now you have to tell your software to use the new paper size. Just replace
the value for the variable '%paper-type%' (in the same file) with
"yourpapersize" .

> - I'm used to the world of FrameMaker and other tools where you can
>   have crop marks or other rules around the page when it's printed on
>   larger page.  In my example above, I'd have a 7" x 9" box centered on
>   and 8 1/2" x 11" piece of paper, and all my content in the box. Is
>   this possible?  I realize that it may not be part of the DSSSL paradigm,
>   but would certainly be helpful as I try to visualize how the final
>   page layout will look.

I have never heard that this is possible with DSSSL. If you use jade, you
may produce a MIF output and print it with FrameMaker. I did some tests with
jade's MIF backend and the docbook stylesheets and I found the output looks
quite good.

Hope this helps.

Rainer Kemmler