Differences between backends.

Subject: Differences between backends.
From: Jany Quintard <quintard.j@xxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 13:36:09 +0200 (CEST)
Hi all
I have noticed some differencs between print backends (TeX/PDF and RTF).
Is it normal or am I doing errors ?
The same stylesheet is used in both cases.

- A first diffrence is the output format of page-numbers.
I want to have page number in the toc with roman format (I, II, III, IV
...).
It works in RTF, but not in PDF (seems connected to TeX backend, since
dvi output is as PDF).
I use the following code to define the format :
  (define ($page-number-format$ #!optional (gi (gi)))
    (cond  ((equal? (normalize gi) (normalize "toc"))    "I")
           ((equal? (normalize gi) (normalize "prolog")) "I")
           (else "1")))

- The page-number-restart seems to work differently, depending on the
backend.

- I build bookmarks in the RTF output file using the following :
(I posted about it in november, and Sebastian Rahtz gave me the info)

(declare-characteristic heading-level
   "UNREGISTERED::James Clark//Characteristic::heading-level" 0)
.../...

  (element (dprolog titleblk title)
    (let* ((niveau (length (hierarchical-number-recursive "d")))
           .../...)
      (make paragraph heading-level: niveau
   .../...

The online view is correct in RTF, but I can't see the bookmarks in PDF.

I am running a Linux station and the SGML is IBMIDDoc.
Here are the versions :
This is TeX, Version 3.14159 (Web2C 7.3.1)
This is pdfTeX, Version 3.14159-13d (Web2C 7.3.1)

So, what is wrong (me ?)

TIA. Jany