(dsssl) Side Notes

Subject: (dsssl) Side Notes
From: Vic <vic.kirk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2001 13:20:15 +0100
Hi,

This has been asked before but I couldn't find a satisfactory
solution in the archives.

(I am using openjade 1.3 with my own DTD + DSSSL, although
I will be moving to DocBook (4.1) when I've figured out how
I can do the formatting. Target is rtf + mif)

I have a document that I need to provide notes for alongside the
main test, e.g.

This is some text recently in the main body     A crib note
of the document. It is not very interesting,        recently
see the note on the side, that's much more
interesting.

Unfortunately the side note Must be aligned with the paragraph
that it refers to.

What I need is something that resembles Figure 18: Multiple
Column-Subsets in the DSSSL spec 12.6.5

As I understand it this is not implemented.

I've tried Marginalia but I can only get that to produce two
consequent paragraphs, perhaps I'm doing something wrong.

The only other ways I could think of are having two areas side by
side.  side-by-side flow objects don't appear to be implemented
and I can't figure out what to do with a display-area to get two
horizontally aligned areas.

This guess leaves a table, is there any other way?

Thanks in advance,

Vic