Re: (dsssl) RE: The Future of DSSSL

Subject: Re: (dsssl) RE: The Future of DSSSL
From: Jean-Marie Kubek <kubek@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 03 Jan 2002 11:24:47 +0000
Hi sebastian (and others dssslers too :),

Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> On Fri, Dec 21, 2001 at 07:29:54PM +0100, Javier Farreres de la Morena wrote:
>>       [ .. snipp ...]

        [... snipp ... ]
> As it turned out, this was a project of rapidly-diminishing returns - we got
> something working quickly, which looked convincing, and it seemed a matter
> of dotting the i's to get it finished. Unfortunately, the TeX backend to Jade
> remains bogged down in apparently insuperable problems.

Could you be more explicit here ? what are these problems ? Does
jadetex needs to target some extension of basic TeX such as omega or
etex ?

> In my view, it would be better to move nearly all the intelligence from
> jadetex back into Jade, where it belongs, and have jade emit very low-level
> TeX which can execute rapidly, without the hoo-hah and baggage of LaTeX on top.

Other than the font mechanism you describe, do you have in mind other
stuffs the tex backend must do in place of jadetex ? Any backend
modification would greatly benefit from such a list.

Jean-Marie Kubek
Comp. center
INSA Toulouse