Re: (dsssl) RE: The Future of DSSSL

Subject: Re: (dsssl) RE: The Future of DSSSL
From: Sebastian Rahtz <sebastian.rahtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2002 11:58:08 +0000
On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 11:24:47AM +0000, Jean-Marie Kubek wrote:
> > remains bogged down in apparently insuperable problems.
>
> Could you be more explicit here ? what are these problems ?
tables, and multi-column work. you cannot
do all the things with table cells that one would like.

> Does
> jadetex needs to target some extension of basic TeX such as omega or
> etex ?
Omega would help with better Unicode support, and bidi typesetting

> Other than the font mechanism you describe, do you have in mind other
> stuffs the tex backend must do in place of jadetex ? Any backend
> modification would greatly benefit from such a list.
yes, table handling could be done in the backend. if
the size and characteristics of each cell was calculated
in the backend, it could emit a simple TeX \hbox/vbox. that would,
at a stroke, enable you to implement all sorts things.

hard to make an exhaustive list with studying jadetex  and DSSSL again,
which I have not done for some years. I am simply very aware that
there is a big gap between the error reports/feature requests which
I have had for jadetex over the last few years, and my inability to fix
them.