RTF styles from jade? (was Re: (dsssl) How to make a RTFstyles-sheet with DSSSL?)

Subject: RTF styles from jade? (was Re: (dsssl) How to make a RTFstyles-sheet with DSSSL?)
From: Ron Ross <ronross@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 00:47:33 -0500
Hi,

I wanted pick up on the question of RTF "styles" in the recent thread,
but realized that, there not being any solution in the current
implementation, it was really a question about the possibility of such
an implementation.

How feasible would it be to implement wp-type styles in the RTF backend;
that is, to encapsulate all the formating procedures for a particular
type of element within an rtf-style whose name would be derived from the
dsssl stylesheet?

I imagine that such an rtf-style backend would interface with OpenJade's
SL either through an extension of JC's original "heading-level"
extension (where the `heading-level' characteristic could take any name)
or through standard dsssl by way of the `style' and `use' features (can
a dsssl "style" specification "use" another "style"? That would provide
a foundation on which to implement the "based-on" RTF style hierarchy).

Such questions have driven me once again to try to teach myself C++,
but... nobody should hold there breath. ;-) Still, I'd like to hear some
opinion on the technical feasibility of implementing this from openjade
experts.

Regards,

Ron