Re: RTF styles from jade? (was Re: (dsssl) How to make a RTF styles-sheet with DSSSL?)

Subject: Re: RTF styles from jade? (was Re: (dsssl) How to make a RTF styles-sheet with DSSSL?)
From: Dave Pawson <DaveP@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 11 Mar 2002 17:54:52 -0800
At 02:45 11/03/2002 -0500, Ron Ross wrote:

I'm glad to hear you would favor using the style objects. I understand
for reasons you point out bellow, that constructing a stylesheet with
word processing styles in mind would require particular attention to how
the style expression is used. I think, both in the stylesheet and in the
backend, once such a path is taken, it would have to govern nearly every
facet of document formating to work, i.e., leave the least possible to
default values and inheritance in the RTF (or other backend)
interpreter.

Would it be possible to have a layered approach?
Some at the 'higher' level, of styles,
others passing direct to the lower level?

Then mix and match as needed?

> One significant theoretical difficulty is that flow object
> characteristics inherit hierarchically, while the prevailing
> "inheritance" of word processing styles is linear. (That is, certain
> characteristics of a paragraph in RTF are inherited from the preceding
> paragraph if not explicitly set or reset.)

I had forgotten about this dumb on/off mechanism for styles in word
processing documents (it had come up ages ago in the Abiword list).
Still, some things can be done with the "basedon" and "next" rtf-style
properties.

If it was made clear what inheritance there is (maybe none) then it wouldn't be a problem for that backend.

Regards DaveP