RE: (dsssl) Keywords

Subject: RE: (dsssl) Keywords
From: daniel lance herrick <dan.herrick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 3 Jul 2002 17:08:59 -0400 (EDT)

On Wed, 3 Jul 2002, Maltby, David G wrote:

> Daniel -
>
> Not to be totally flip but you could buy the document from ISO, it belongs
> to them.

Actually, isn't this particular standard the only
one available online because the US Government
contract that paid for it specified that it be
freely available? (That is, as a US taxpayer I
have a small proprietary interest?)

However, I will be ordering an official copy
because a bound book is so much more usable than
what I just got done printing and sticking in
duotang folders. But I have the paper copy off the
net in my hands now. That proposal will certainly
have been submitted before the book arrives (our
purchasing process seems likely to make that
happen even if the ISO store moves expeditiously).

> http://www.iso.org/iso/en/CatalogueDetailPage.CatalogueDetail?CSNUMBER=18196
> &ICS1=35&ICS2=240&ICS3=30

Thanks, that helps, too.

> However all the links you provided below work for me but then I am a US Gov
> contactor so it may be a firewall problem for you.

Does the occam.sjf.novell.com link really work
from inside gov firewalls?

> The Standard it helpful but there are many more useful resources for

I'm one of those peculiar characters who finds it
easier to learn something from a reference manual
than from a user guide with gerunds for chapter
titles.

My starting point a couple days ago was the man
pages for nsgmls on Redhat Linux 7.3. Your list of
links below is presumably going to be much more
helpful than those things and what I have found
thus far using Google. I will be exploring them
and am truly grateful.

> understanding DSSSL.  This list is one.  Also search the archives
> http://www.biglist.com/lists/dssslist/archives/ of the list for tutorials.
> I like this one:
> http://coli.lili.uni-bielefeld.de/Texttechnologie/dsssl_ma/dsssl/index.html
>
> Didier maintains a good resource at
> http://www.netfolder.com/DSSSL/index.html
>
> Further there is
> http://www.mulberrytech.com/dsssl/dsssldoc/procedures/index.html
>
> Don't panic, help is available.

Yeah. But other people need my results to prepare
prototypes for the proposal.

Then I can worry about understanding what I'm
doing.

I had bought Goldfarb's SGML Handbook some months
ago, so I had what I needed to work through the
parsing. Turned out to only be make a catalog and
find the ISO entities. But the book was crucial
for learning that.

dan