Re: (dsssl) Loss of separator

Subject: Re: (dsssl) Loss of separator
From: Tony Graham <Tony.Graham@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 12:51:50 +0000
Jany Quintard wrote at 13 Feb 2003 11:54:57 +0100:
 > Hi all
 >
 > I have a stupid question (stupid because I am sure that the answer is
 > under my very nose and I don't see it)
 >
 > I transform  SGML files to SGML files and get the folowing result:
 >
 > Input:
 > Some text
 > <l linkend="NameOfLink">Text of link</l>
 > text following the link
 >
 > Output:
 > <P
 > >Some text
 > <L
 > linkend="NameOfLink"
 > >Text of link</L
 > >text following the link</P
 > >

 > What puzzles me is that the breakline between the link element and the
 > text following it is lost. I would have bet that it was the same as a
 > space.
 >
 > Any ideas?

It's an SGML thing (and it's been so long since I had to think about
it that I had to look up some books to get the wording right).

A linebreak immediately after a start-tag or immediately before an
end-tag of an element with mixed content is ignored.

So, your missing linebreak didn't make it out of the SGML parser, so
it wasn't there to be transformed into the output.

Regards,

Tony Graham