(dsssl) Making a special treatment for the *first* occurrence of an element

Subject: (dsssl) Making a special treatment for the *first* occurrence of an element
From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer@xxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 13:43:12 +0200
Hello all,

I'm trying to process a list of elements (DocBook's <othercredit> if
you want to know) with a special treatment for the first element of
the list (literal "I would like to thank also: ").

In a procedural language like TeX, I would create a counter and
increment it at each step. The first element is the one where the
counter is still zero.

In XSL, I would use Xpath. The first element is the one where <xsl:if
test="not(preceding::othercredit)"> yields true.

How to do it with DSSSL?