Re: [dssslist] macro and XPath features?

Subject: Re: [dssslist] macro and XPath features?
From: "Oleg A. Paraschenko" <olpa@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2005 01:00:36 +0400
  Hello Christopher,

  thank you for comments.

On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 14:18:37 -0700 (PDT)
"Christopher R. Maden" <crism@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Oleg Paraschenko:
> >   I've looked through the DSSSL specification, but haven't found
> >   answers
> > for the following questions.
> >
> > * Does DSSSL have macro facilities?
>
> That depends on what you mean.

  I mean something like "define-syntax" or "define-macro". Something that
can introduce new syntax to the language.

>  As a Scheme dialect, you can define
> functions; with no parameters, a function is pretty much the same as a
> macro.
>
> Also, because your stylesheet specification is an SGML document
> instance, you can use SGML entities that way.  (However, I find the
> benefit of doing that is well offset by the benefit of wrapping the
> entire stylesheet in a CDATA marked section, so I don_t generally do
> that.)
>
> > * Does DSSSL have an analogue of XPath?
>
> Not really, at least not in any short string syntax.  There is a query
> language called SDQL that_s part of DSSSL, but it_s much more verbose
> than XPath.

  It's not a problem. It can be compacted by analogue of SXPath from
Scheme SXML tools. Thank you for pointing to SDQL.

* quasiquote

  It seems it's supported. That's nice.

--
Oleg Paraschenko  olpa@ http://xmlhack.ru/  XML news in Russian