Re: [dssslist] Re: Problems with ? for page numbers in index

Subject: Re: [dssslist] Re: Problems with ? for page numbers in index
From: "N. Raghavendra" <raghu@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 19:04:35 +0530
At 2006-03-05T16:02:34+08:00, Jeremy Malcolm wrote:

> * An index entry is only placed where there is an <indexterm> in my
>   SGML document, so if I want the same word indexed whenever it occurs
>   I still have to manually insert <indexterm>s at each occurence.

AFAIK that is true even with LaTeX indexing, cf., the `makeindex'
documentation.

> The problem I am experiencing is that, in a large index, maybe
> three-quarters of my entries don't work.  In the places where it
> doesn't work, I either get ? (most common, no hyperlink), or ??
> (rarely, hyperlinked to page 1).  In the places where it does work,
> the hyperlink to the page is the wrong number.

Rendering into PDF the document which you had mailed me off-list
produced an index with only two entries with page numbers `??', and
none with `?'.  Both the `??' entries arose from `indexterm'
descendants of a `footnote' element.  As of now, I don't know why this
happens.  To get around the problem, you may consider not indexing
terms that occur in footnotes.

> For example auDA appears in my document and is indexed eight times,
> but only comes up twice: "to auDA, but retained control" on page 67
> (indexed as 22) and "control over the au ccTLD to auDA" on page 105
> (indexed as 57).

With the file you had sent me, this happened only when the same term
was indexed several times in the same section.  collateindex.pl(1)
considers two index entries for the same term to be duplicates if they
occur in the same section.  If you do not want this behaviour, use the
`-p' option for collateindex.pl(1).  This will stop it from
suppressing duplicate index entries.  If I use that option, I get 6
index entries for `hackers' in the PDF rendition of your sample
document, whereas without that option I get only one such entry.

One possible way of avoiding all these problems is to transform the
`indexentry' elements to LaTeX `\index' commands using DSSSL.  I
haven't tried this yet.

If you want the PDF file I produced from your document, I can send it
to you off-list.

HTH,
Raghavendra.

--
N. Raghavendra <raghu@xxxxxxxxxxxx> | See message headers for contact
Harish-Chandra Research Institute   | and OpenPGP details.