Re: [jats-list] Versions of an article

Subject: Re: [jats-list] Versions of an article
From: "Beck, Jeff (NIH/NLM/NCBI) [E]" <beck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 18:23:39 +0000
Alf,

You've run up against a real application of the question of what an XML
document is. Bruce hinted at it when he talked about DOIs, and Allen
Renear discusses this question in a 2003 Extreme Markup Languages** paper
"An XML document corresponds to which FRBR Group 1 entity?"
(http://conferences.idealliance.org/extreme/html/2003/Lawton01/EML2003Lawto
n01.html).

My feeling is that versions and links between versions are things that
need to be handled outside of the markup of an XML instance by the
application layer that is handling your documents.

Jeff

** The "Extreme Markup Languages" conference continues as "Balisage: The
Markup Conference" (http://www.balisage.net/)

Here's a link if you want to read more about FRBR. I always suggest the
first three chapters.
http://archive.ifla.org/VII/s13/frbr/frbr_current_toc.htm