Re: [jats-list] Versions of an article

Subject: Re: [jats-list] Versions of an article
From: Alf Eaton <eaton.alf@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 9 May 2013 20:25:01 +0100
That's an interesting point to debate, and I think it mostly depends
on how much the content is likely to change between versions (in this
particular case it's article preprints, which could change
considerably between versions).

For example, F1000 Research mint DOIs only for each version of an article:
http://dx.doi.org/10.12688/f1000research.2-79.v1
http://dx.doi.org/10.12688/f1000research.2-79.v2
They still have a generic non-versioned URL for the article (as well
as the versioned URLs), but not an article-level DOI.

Dryad's guidelines <http://wiki.datadryad.org/DOI_Usage>, on the other
hand, recommend to have both a generic, over-arching DOI for all
versions of a dataset, as well as one DOI for each specific version of
the dataset. This seems like the most appropriate option, as it allows
someone to choose to cite either the whole "work" (possibly while
specifying a particular point in time) or a specific version, as they
prefer.

There are also inevitably going to be different DOIs for the same
"work", if a preprint is published on one service (and assigned a
DOI), then published in its final form somewhere else and assigned a
new DOI by the different publisher. You could argue that preprints
shouldn't be assigned DOIs, but then you have to a) define when
something is a "preprint" and b) tell people that they're not allowed
to cite "unpublished" work using a DOI.

Alf