[jats-list] BITS: Is there a canonical way to group multiple appendices and a glossary under a single 'Appendix' heading?

Subject: [jats-list] BITS: Is there a canonical way to group multiple appendices and a glossary under a single 'Appendix' heading?
From: "Imsieke, Gerrit, le-tex" <gerrit.imsieke@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2013 00:32:04 +0200
There's a book whose backmatter consists of a glossary, two appendices and and index. In the printed version, the glossary and the appendices are contained in a book-part-like structure with the heading 'Appendix'. The index heading is intended to be on the same level as this 'Appendix' heading. The individual appendices below the 'Appendix' heading have their own distinct headings (let's call them 'Author Biographies' and 'Handouts').

What is the canonical BITS way to encode this structure? I'll present a valid yet clumsy and an invalid variant.

Valid alternative:

  <book-back>
    <book-part dtd-version="0.2">
      <book-part-meta>
        <title-group>
          <title>Appendix</title>
        </title-group>
      </book-part-meta>
      <back>
        <glossary>
          <title>Glossary</title>
        </glossary>
        <app>
          <title>Handouts</title>
        </app>
        <app>
          <title>Author Bios</title>
        </app>
      </back>
    </book-part>
      <title-group>
        <title>Index</title>
      </title-group>
  </book-back>

I don't like that there's a book-part that could, in principle, host all kind of stuff that doesn't belong into a book's backmatter (front, body).

Or the use of a book-part in a book-back could lead you to think that the content now go into the book-part's body because you're already in the backmatter. Until you find out that an appendix or glossary can't be in the body.

Because I was kind of loath to use a book-part for the collective 'Appendix', I thought of using app-group, like this:

  <book-back>
    <app-group>
      <title>Appendix</title>
      <glossary>
        <title>Glossary</title>
      </glossary>
      <app>
        <title>Author Bios</title>
      </app>
    </app-group>
      <title-group>
        <title>Index</title>
      </title-group>
  </book-back>

This looks more lightweight and appropriate in my view, except that glossary isnbt allowed in an app-group (only app elements are allowed there).

In principle, one could extract the glossary from the Appendix, leaving the two appendices proper under the Appendix heading, in an app-group. But if the glossary was moved before the appendices, there would be no 'Appendix' heading before the glossary which probably isn't acceptable for the author and/or the publisher. If the glossary were moved past the appendices, the order in the electronic pulication (EPUB derived from BITS) would deviate from what's been printed, and this also seems unacceptable to some of the parties involved.

So is there a third way to encode this in a natural way, or do you consider the book-part way (first alternative) as a natural way already? Or do you also think (as I do) that there should be a generic container to group backmatter components? It could be app-group, but maybe with a book-part-meta instead of a mere title element.

What do you think?

Gerrit