Re: [jats-list] BITS: Is there a canonical way to group multiple appendices and a glossary under a single 'Appendix' heading?

Subject: Re: [jats-list] BITS: Is there a canonical way to group multiple appendices and a glossary under a single 'Appendix' heading?
From: Debbie Lapeyre <dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 16:58:14 -0400
Wendell--

I too, think Gerrit's "clumsy" model looks
quite acceptable.

What you say SEEMS logical, that the content of
a book part should be in its body, but, in fact,
can only occur within back matter.

The <book-part> model goes like this:

book-part
  book-part-meta?
  front-matter?
  body?
    (para-level-stuff including table and figure and
        stuff like that but NOT including index or
        glossary or app)*
    sec*
    (book-part | xi:include)*
  back?
     label?
     title*,
     (ack | app | app-group | bio | dedication |
      floats-group | fn-group | glossary | index |
      index-group | notes | ref-list | sec |
      sig-block | toc | toc-group)+

So the <book-part> model as given by Gerrit makes
perfect sense. If Gerrit had not wanted the "Appendix"
book part to be at the same hierarchical level as the
Index, the <title> element of the <back> could have
been used.

It seems to me that this is the JATS model accommodating
some fairly unusual structures indeed, and doing it
acceptably. Gerrit does not have to rearrange his content, or
call any component something it is not. The thing with an
'Appendix' title is a book part, and has inside it what
he said it does. That is JATS being flexible, not abusive.

--Debbie

Deborah A Lapeyre              mailto:dalapeyre@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mulberry Technologies, Inc.      http://www.mulberrytech.com
17 West Jefferson Street         Phone: 301-315-9631 (USA)
Suite 207                        Fax:   301-315-8385
Rockville, MD 20850
Mulberry Technologies: Consultancy for XML, XSLT, and Schematron